Reef Catchments is the Natural Resource Management (NRM) organisation for the Mackay Whitsunday region. Our focus is on the sustainable management of the regions natural resources (land, water, biodiversity, coasts and marine assets) while maintaining a viable regional community.
We receive our funding through federal, state and private institutions to create viable environmental projects that improve the regions natural resource condition.
- Enhanced natural resources for a sustainable community; and
- Work collaboratively with the community to improve the condition of natural resources while sharing in their derived benefits.
Our key role in the Mackay Whitsunday region is to:
- Facilitate accelerated positive change in regional natural resource management actions;
- Educate and build capacity within the regional community to identify natural resource cases of concern and develop and implement remedial actions of improvement; and
- Record and report on natural resource condition and its improvement to all stakeholders.
One of our key aims is to also improve community knowledge of NRM issues along with improving community capacity to deal with these issues, backed with our strong commitment to innovative and efficient service delivery.