Bonsucro benchmarks schemes and standards to give information on their level of alignment with the Bonsucro Production Standard to encourage a more inclusive approach to farm and mill performance improvement.
Benchmarking also provides buyers of sugarcane products and other stakeholders with a clear, transparent and objective view about the differences between Bonsucro and the schemes.
Bonsucro invites its peer community of scheme owners to become part of its expanding network. This will enable them to connect with new partners and customers, and to improve their value proposition to the global community with an interest in sugarcane sustainability.
Levels of alignment
A benchmarked scheme can achieve one of three levels of alignment: basic, intermediate and comprehensive. Each level indicates how comparable the scheme is with the Bonsucro Production Standard.
Benchmarking is done according to a set protocol to ensure that the outcomes are objective and comparable. Read more about this in our key documents or check out the FAQs.
- The Benchmarking Protocol defines the process of evaluating the level of alignment between non-Bonsucro developed tools, standards, and guidance documents and the Bonsucro Production Standard.
Bonsucro is seeking the views from stakeholders on the level of alignment of this following schemes. Consultation is open for 30 days. Any comments should be sent to email@example.com
Raizen’s ELO Programme is a voluntary sustainability initiative for their outgrowers, suppliers responsible for 50% of the total volume of sugarcane crushed by the company. Developed through a partnership between Raizen, Imaflora, and Solidaridad, the ELO Programme is a continuous improvement process that addresses the three pillars of sustainability: environmental, social and economic – across 34 themes – closing date: 08 March 2019
The Smartcane BMP is an industry-led, voluntary system available to all sugarcane growers across the state of Queensland, Australia. Smartcane BMP was developed with funding from the Queensland Government and was launched in 2013 to assist growers to document, benchmark and continuously improve their on-farm practices for productivity, profitability and stewardship. The programme is run by CANEGROWERS Australia, a grower-owned organisation supporting and promoting Australian sugarcane growers.
- Download the Smartcane benchmarking report for feedback and comments on the level of alignment– closing date: 08 March 2019
- + What does benchmarking at Bonsucro mean?
Benchmarking is the process used to compare the Bonsucro Production Standard with any tool, scheme or standard that improves and validates the performance of sugarcane producers. It identifies the level of alignment between them and indicates the mechanism used to verify (or assure) performance.
- + What levels of achievement exist in Bonsucro benchmarking?
A tool, scheme or standard that has been benchmarked is called a Benchmarked Scheme when it achieves one of the following levels of alignment: Basic, Intermediate & Comprehensive.
- + Why does Bonsucro have a benchmarking programme?
Bonsucro aims to ensure that responsible sugarcane production creates lasting value for the people, communities, businesses, economies and ecosystems in all cane-growing origins. Through benchmarking, Bonsucro provides global recognition and visibility to the Benchmarked Schemes and encourage an inclusive approach to sustainable improvement by identifying commonalities between schemes and the Bonsucro Production Standard, the most robust global reference framework in the sugarcane industry.
- + What are the benefits of having your scheme benchmarked by Bonsucro?
Having your tool, scheme or standard benchmarked against the Bonsucro Production Standard creates clarity and recognition within the global Bonsucro sugarcane community. Benchmarking provides Bonsucro members and stakeholders with the confidence needed to use a Benchmarked Scheme for guiding performance improvement, and to rely upon it for developing assured supply chains.
- + Can any organisation have its scheme, standard or tool benchmarked by Bonsucro?
Any organisation with a tool, scheme or standard designed to improve and validate the performance of sugarcane farms and/or mills can undertake a Bonsucro benchmark. Members of Bonsucro are eligible to have one tool, scheme or standard benchmarked free of charge, and the resulting Benchmark Status will remain valid for as long as the membership lasts. Non-members can get their tool, scheme or standard benchmarked for a one-off fee of USD 10,000. This fee covers the cost of engagement as well as that of the independent consultants hired by Bonsucro to perform the benchmark.
- + How long is the status of Benchmarked Scheme valid for?
The status of a Benchmarked Scheme is valid for a maximum of three years. After this period, another Benchmark Assessment is required to regain the status of Benchmarked Scheme. Benchmarked Schemes are required to report changes to their tool, scheme or standard to Bonsucro. This can lead to a reassessment of the alignment level within the three-year period depending on the materiality of the change.
- + How credible is the status of a Benchmarked Scheme?
Bonsucro benchmarking is essentially a peer-to-peer process between Bonsucro and an external scheme or peer initiative. Bonsucro has taken a number of measures to ensure the credibility of the benchmarking process:
– Benchmarking is performed according to the Bonsucro Protocol, which sets out the requirements for the benchmarking process and the levels of alignment that can be achieved.
– Bonsucro outsources the actual process of benchmarking to an independent consultant to ensure the improvement scheme is reviewed objectively.
– A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between Bonsucro and the Scheme Owner defines terms and conditions of the benchmarking process and communications about the benchmarking results.
- + Which schemes have achieved Bonsucro benchmarked status so far?
The list of Benchmarked Schemes can be found above.
Want to know more?
Find out how your organisation can get involved with Bonsucro Benchmarking.