What is the Bonsucro Production Standard?
The Production Standard helps farmers and mills to measure their productivity and key environmental and social impacts. On the road to certification, businesses can increase efficiency, lower energy use, and reduce waste – all the time improving on the bottom line.
There are two Standards:
- Production Standard
- This Standard can be used by all sugarcane mills and farms to demonstrate sustainable production, regardless of size.
- Production Standard for Smallholder Farmers
- Smallholder farming groups (association or supplying to a mill) may use the Smallholder Standard to demonstrate sustainable production in place of the Bonsucro Production Standard mentioned above. The farmers in the group must meet the definition of smallholder farmers (<25 hectares + additional guidance and exceptions).
The Bonsucro Production Standard...
...can improve performance
...can inspire change
7 principles guide the Production Standard
The Bonsucro Production Standard uses 7 principles to achieve sustainability in the production of sugarcane and its derived products.
They cater to the three pillars of sustainability: environmental, social and economic.
1. Obey the law
2. Respect human rights and labour standards
3. Manage efficiency to improve sustainability
4. Manage biodiversity and ecosystem
5. Continuously improve
6. Adhere to EU directives
7 - Organisation of Farmers
(Smallholder Standard only)