Bonsucro, as a multi-stakeholder organisation, seeks to engage members when changes are proposed and made to the Standard. Here you will find detailed information about this process and current work on standards development, as well as information on how these key documents were created.
To read about the development of the Bonsucro Production Standard version 4.0, download this summary of the process. The development of the standard followed the ISEAL Standard Setting Code to ensure multi-stakeholder involvement.
Draft Smallholder Standard and Calculator Public Consultation
Bonsucro is holding public consultations on the draft Bonsucro Production Standard for Smallholder Farmers and draft Bonsucro Calculator for Smallholder Farmers. The Smallholder Steering Committee has worked with Bonsucro staff to develop the draft standard and calculator to be applicable for smallholder farmers seeking to adopt social, economic, and environmental sustainability practices. There are several ways to participate in the consultation, the first consultation period was open until 15 February 2018, and will be followed by a second public consultation period in March. If you have any questions or would like to submit comments on the draft outside of the consultation survey below, please contact Sonia Slavinski.
The second round of consultation is now open, 9th April to 9th May. You are welcome to download the most recent drafts here:
- Draft Bonsucro Production Standard for Smallholder Farmers v0.3
- Draft Bonsucro Calculator for Smallholder Farmers v0.3
- Consultation Feedback Form, Second Round
The Bonsucro Production Standard has been under review for the smallholder context since March 2017, when the review was approved by the board. Smallholder farmers are a crucial component in many sugarcane industries around the world. To ensure that smallholders have the same opportunities for performance improvement as other producers, Bonsucro embarked on a review of the Bonsucro Production Standard and the Certification System in the smallholder context.
The review has of the Bonsucro Production Standard in the smallholder context included the following:
- Participation from 50+ members and stakeholders in online consultations
- Workshops at Bonsucro Technical Week in Mexico, India, and Thailand
- On-farm visits for smallholder feedback in India, Brazil, Thailand, and Mexico
- Input and leadership from the Smallholder Steering Committee
Smallholder Steering Committee
|Roger Armitage||TSGRO- Smallholder Programme|
|Dr. Lorena Casanova||Programa Sustenables para Certificacion|
|Dr. Manju||East Asia Sugar Group|
|Shauna Alexander Mohr||ED&F Man|
|Dr. S. Raghu||EID Parry|
If you have any questions about the review, please contact us. Bonsucro is a full member of the ISEAL Alliance and conducts the process of standards revision in accordance with the ISEAL Standard Setting Code.
Key Process Documents
- Terms of Reference for the Standard Revision Committee
- Standard Development and Revision Procedure
- Consultation Feedback and Responses, First Public Consultation
- Minutes from Bonsucro Smallholder Steering Committee Meeting December 2017
- Presentation from Bonsucro Smallholder Steering Committee Meeting March 2018
- Minutes from Bonsucro Smallholder Steering Committee Meeting, March 2018
- Draft Bonsucro Production Standard for Smallholder Farmers v0.2
- Draft Bonsucro Calculator for Smallholder Farmers v0.2
- (Spanish) Draft Bonsucro Production Standard for Smallholder Farmers v0.2
- (Spanish) Draft Bonsucro Calculator for Smallholder Farmers v0.2
- Consultation Survey, First Round