10th April 2018
Smallholders are a hugely important part of sugarcane production and present high potential for impact, and the development of Bonsucro’s new Smallholder Standard & Calculator is well underway.
Thank you to everyone who provided feedback during the first round of consultation – we received over 120 comments with participation from more than 60 members and stakeholders.
We’re now pleased to launch the second round of public consultation on the Smallholder Standard.
Consultation – Second Round
The Standard and Calculator drafts have now been updated:
- Draft Bonsucro Production Standard for Smallholder Farmer v0.3
- Draft Bonsucro Calculator for Smallholder Farmers v0.3
- Consultation Feedback Form
Find more information on the process by visiting our Standards Development webpage.
The comments received during the first round of consultation have been anonymised and posted on the Standards Development page, along with a summary of responses and how they were included in the next draft. On-farm pilots have been carried out and will continue in key geographies through the second round of consultation.
Please send any feedback to Sonia@bonsucro.com. The second round of consultation closes on 9th May.
Key changes in the second draft:
- Compliance scoring: This has been added to the group calculator. The compliance will be determined at a group level, but individual farmers (or another data collection system) must complete the “Farm Diary”. Two tabs have been added to the calculator: results and calculations so it is still possible to track how calculations were done. The Farm Diary has been reorganised to follow the flow of production activities in the farm.
- Smallholder farmer definition: Now the definition includes a provision for farms that are over 25 hectares but still with similar production processes (number of workers or mechanisation) as long as the group average is under 25.
- Principle 7: Key changes have been added to Principle 7 clarifying requirements on the group’s ability to ensure continued compliance of core indicators and internal inspection
- Requirements in Principle 2 on labour: These now apply to anyone doing work on the unit of certification with relevant exceptions on two indicators that are required specifically for hired labour.